International Health Certificates

Traveling out of the country? Springfield Veterinary Center has two USDA accredited veterinarians that can issue travel certificates for your healthy pet so they can travel with you.

Why Does My Pet Need a Certificate to Travel?

Only pets in good health are permitted to travel by plane or boat. The country you are traveling to may have specific health requirements that must be met before your pet can enter. Certain health requirements may include up-to-date vaccinations, a passing health exam, etc. Health certificates ensure that your pet is healthy to travel and aren’t susceptible to transferring diseases to other pets or people.

When Should I Start the Process?

Certificate timing varies greatly by country: For example, rabies-free territories such as Australia and New Zealand take six months. We strongly encourage checking the APHIS website as early as possible.

What to Do If I Need to Obtain an International Health Certificate?

Before you start the process, you need to determine the destination country and dates of travel. We will work with you to determine the health certificate requirements based on your travel destination. Since requirements are determined by each country and can change frequently, we suggest you check the current pet travel health requirements for your destination country on the USDA website.

 USDA APHIS | Taking a Pet FROM the U.S. to Another Country (Export)

We will perform a health exam to determine if your pet has any sign of disease or health risks that could pass along to others while traveling. We will also ensure that your pet has all required vaccinations to travel. Once all requirements are met, we will issue a certificate indicating that your pet has been cleared to travel.